Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Developing Business within the Alliant Culture

by Stephanie Southworth

American football coach Paul “Bear” Bryant once said, “Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.” It was a quote that was often used around our house as I was growing up. In my short time as a member of the Alliant team, I can honestly say that it is something I have witnessed to be true within the organization.

My introduction to Alliant started with a trek to New Jersey to participate in the company’s annual Sales Summit. My first impression was that everyone on the team was extremely friendly and welcoming; there seemed to be no shortage of class, pride, or character(s). In addition to my initial impression, I couldn’t help but notice that I had a lot to learn in the way of technology. I heard more acronyms in those few days than I had in all my years on this earth. But there was something that stood out even more than friendly greetings and overwhelming technological terms. With every presentation from various members of the sales team, it became increasingly clear that this sales organization was fundamentally different from so many that I had seen before: everyone in this company truly and sincerely believes in the products and services they are selling and the value they bring.

Upon returning to Boston to embark on my career in Business Development, that notion really stuck with me. In making cold calls in search of net new logos, I find myself introducing Alliant and what we do to (very busy, often impatient) prospective new clients. I am excited to point out our key partnerships, array of offerings, and our managed services. If said prospect decides to take a meeting, I always make a point to tell them that the account team they are going to meet with is knowledgeable around the core technologies and maintains the highest level of reliability and care in everything they do. And the thing is, I mean it. In trying to “sell” Alliant Technologies to the prospect, I am not lying or sacrificing my personal integrity in any way. In truth, I believe that to be the very thing that can make the difference.